Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oh Hell No!

Well, today was interesting to say the least. I called the girls pediatrician this morning to see if I could move up Sophia’s yearly check up. She has been complaining about leg pain for the past few months. I put it off to growing pains. But last week she started to complain about her legs feeling numb and tingly. Definitely not growing pains anymore. Surprisingly, they had an opening at noon today and so I took her in.

No surprise, Sophia has grown 6 ½ inches in the past 10 months. Definitely SOME growing pains going on. The hard part of the visit was when Dr Vasquez started doing basic neurological tests with Pia. Arms out then touch the nose, making circles with her thumb and pointer finger, quick switch hands, shoulder shrug, resistance tests. For a minute, all I could see was Natalia being put through the same tests over and over. All I could think was NOT THIS CHILD! I am quite proud of myself for not coming unhinged in the exam room. I asked appropriate questions and got answers in doctor speak. “Right now” he believes she is running low in electrolytes and this is why she is getting the tingly numb sensation, like her legs are asleep. He wrote up orders for lab tests and let me know he really thought that this was the issue. She is extremely active and doesn’t slow down for pain or this numbness. It is not constant and affects her mostly at night. He also said that if the labs didn’t show the results he expected that he would consult a neurologist. I really like our pediatrician! He is good about giving his opinion and then saying if that isn’t the correct answer here is what our next step will be.

I am extremely proud of Pia for her bravery at Quest. She had to do a blood draw. The MA wanted me to hold her in my lap and hold her arm still. I looked at Pia and said, “This is like when they used to poke Natalia for her tests. Do you need me to hold you still or should I just hold your hand for courage?” Pia’s answer…”Just hold my hand, Sissy showed me it was easy.” The MA was not happy and continued her you cannot move at all spiel. Pia watched through it all and didn’t bat an eye. When it was over she told the woman that putting the tourniquet on her hurt worse than the needle. Go Pia!!! Hopefully, we’ll have our answer soon. For now, I’m looking up ways to add more electrolytes to her diet.

Much Love,
Roni

2 comments:

Beth said...

Praying for great news, Roni!!! Keep me in touch!

Unknown said...

Edgar didn't tell me this. Did the results come back okay?

Tell Pia I said good job on being brave!