Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Small Steps

Good Evening all,
Sorry it has been a few days. As they say, no news is good news. Radiation and Chemo have been going well so far. We walk up to UCSF and catch the shuttle bus over to Mt Zion for Natalia's radiation. Then we catch the shuttle back and walk back to Family House. Natalia will then take an hour long nap followed by lunch and a walk somewhere. She takes her chemo just before falling asleep by 7:30pm each night. So far she hasn't gotten sick from any of this. Praise to the Lord that this continues. While her symptoms have not gotten any worse we are beginning to see little steps...she now reaches for things and tries to do more with her hands. She is also becoming stubborn again. "No, I'm done." Is her current call of battle.

We attended a family circle support group that Family House organizes every week. It was good to talk specifically about what we are going through and feeling with other parents in the same situation. We were reminded to live in the minute not tomorrow. This is something kids do all the time and adults need to be reminded that happy is right now, not when you get something or finish another. We also cemented in ourselves that while we accept the diagnosis we do not accept the prognosis. The fight will go on no matter how long it takes.

Yes, we are setting up a blog web page with www.caringbridge.org but all this is still to raw and I'm not sure what to say. I'll probably be working on that next week when I can't sleep. I run out of time off for work this next week so back to work I go. I am filling out my paperwork for the Family Leave Medical Act but it is up to each employer whether the employee is to be paid. If nothing else this will allow me 12 weeks additional time should I need it paid or not. It should also protect me from losing my job because of time I need off. Edgar and Natalia will be returning to UCSF without me starting the 26th. I will be home with Sophia keeping the home fires burning.

Note: the picture is of Natalia's radiation treatment room. The lady with short hair is Pat and the other is Carolyn. Pat is awesome and always has a smiling face at the start of our day.

Bye for now...Love to you all,
Roni

1 comment:

Erinb said...

I'm glad to be able to hear about Natalia's progress. I'm Erin and I used to got to Trinity where I helped my mom(Cara) in Natalia's sunday school class. She is so fun to be around and ALWAYS had something to tell me. It was so cute because she told me just about every week that i was in her class that i was her best friend. I doubt she remembers me because it was awhile ago and she was younger but I sure remeber her and Sophia would tell me that she was my best friend too! I ask my mom a lot how she is doing and now i can also just come read this but hopefully I will get to see her at Sunday school again!
My prayers are with you guys!!
Love,
Erin