Monday, November 1, 2010

November

Holy Moly time is certainly flying! I cannot believe today is the 1st of November, how did that happen? Today and tomorrow are the Dia de Muertos. The Day of the Dead for those of you unfamiliar with Mexican culture. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2). It is the time that the dead return to check on those they love and for those still living to honor their lives. Family members put out their relatives favorite foods, toys, drinks, and decorate their graves. I find it a very comforting thought. Therefore; in honor of the day, Edgar is making chicken enchiladas and his homemade black beans. The apple soda is in the fridge chilling. Whenever things were taking, what Natalia felt was too long, she would start to whine & Edgar would ask her “what do you think…we’re making chicken enchiladas”. (Anyone who has made them from scratch knows they take all day to make.) Then Natalia would giggle and ask her Papa to make them for her. I feel Natalia around us quite a bit but knowing this time is all hers…well, it’s priceless.

Sophia is playing soccer for the Weldon Stars, the under 8s girls team. She has so much joy in her when she is on the field. She just grins and giggles the entire time. That is not to say she is not focused on playing because she is a really good player. She just loves to play and it shows. I am jealous…she has a six pack! Even if I went to the gym 7 days a week, I would never have that on my curvy figure.

She has also had her 1st detention. Oh yes, our little juvenile delinquent! She got the bright idea that throwing the powered soap around the girl’s bathroom was cool and funny looking. She invited 2 of her friends to also play…then got BUSTED when they told another girl to get out of the bathroom. Mrs. Halverstadt told me later that the bathroom looked like there had been a snowstorm in it. The offenders were marched to Mrs. Armstrong’s office to learn their fate. 2 days recess detention and phone calls home. Sophia got 3 days grounding at home. She told me she thought her punishment “was reasonable.” I know she was expecting to be spanked over it but Edgar and I were both laughing…no spanking when laughing is involved. She also had her 1st report card…1 missed spelling word this year and what would be straight As on a regular report card. 1St grade is on a learning level system rather than grading system. Other then the above mentioned detention she has been a great student! I have to say I am extremely happy that the mischievous part of Pia is coming back out. She had to be so self contained when Natalia was sick that other then whining like a normal little one she packed away a lot of that devilish tinkle that was in her eye.

I was going to add pictures but my phone isn't downloading them at the moment. Frustrating me greatly so I will add them later.

Much Love,
Roni

No comments: