Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wish Riders at the Love Ride

Dan, Frank, Jenn, Ed "Cajun", Leo, Sophia & Edgar
The Next Generation

This past weekend was amazing! We were asked to join the Wish Riders in L.A. to film footage at the Love Ride. The Love Ride 2010 was from Glendale Harley Davidson to the Calamigos Ranch(where The Biggest Loser is filmed) in the Malibu Canyons. It benefits a different charity every year and this year's was Autism Speaks.

We met up with Frank, Ed and Kurt at our hotel in Burbank Saturday morning. Sophia and I then followed the guys through those "oh so wonderful" L.A. freeways up to our filming location in the Malibu canyons. Shameless plug...The Knucklehead Inn is an beautiful B&B located on Mulholand Drive. It has a peaceful, warm, friendly feel at a great price that allows you to get away from it all and they cater to bikers of all kinds. Check them out at www.knuckleheadinn.com Ok plug done. We met our film crew there. Our director Jenn, Asst director Leo and PA Austin. They made this weekend fun and even though there was a ton to get done things were kept on track and we had an easy non-stressed shoot. Jenn wanted to film interviews with with all of us...yes even Sophia and I. That was probably the hardest part for me. As you all know, I am not the public speaker for this family. When I get emotional I can't think of what to say and tend to repeat myself frequently and can't get out what I really want to say. Which I know I did...sorry Jenn.

They needed to film out in the canyons and I got to ride with Edgar for parts of it. I must say that the wedding going on at the county club probably hates us. We roared by them 6 times and since the wedding party was close to the road I got to all of their faces turned our way EVERY time we rumbled by. Next we all went to the beach for sunset. Edgar, Pia and I got to play with Natalia for a bit...which they filmed. Dinner at Neptune's on the beach for easily the best fish tacos I have ever eaten. Then back to the Knucklehead to finish shooting the interviews. We were 3 tired puppies when we got back to the hotel...I failed to mention Pia and I had both been out sick with the plague on Thursday and Friday. The breeze in the canyons helped tremendously. On the way back to the hotel, Sophia announces that she is going to be a director because she can learn it at college, take lots of pictures and tell everyone what to do. Just like Jenn!

Sunday morning we met everyone downstairs and added one more to our group...Dan. He is the Road Captain for his Riverside chapter and was to be our guide/Jenn's ride for the day. Jenn did a lot of filming from the back of the bike...I can't wait to see that footage. We made our way to the Glendale Harley to pick up our registration. Sophia got to meet Jay Leno while we were there. Of course, she has noooo idea who he is but he gave her a little hug and said hi. Then we were off for the long drive to the Calamigos Ranch. Tons of filming the whole way. I was so proud of Sophia! There was no whining or complaining during the long morning so when we arrived & saw a ferris wheel...oh yeah she got a ride right away without having to ask. In fact she got to ride it 3 times throughout the day. There was great music, good food, people relaxing and having fun and oh yes...more filming. We got to see some famous people we recognized, probably more we didn't and had a great time. It was sad when we wrapped the weekend, but, I know we will see everyone again and I feel that we made some wonderful new friends.

We were asked to provide more pictures and video with Natalia. I can do the pictures with very little problem now. I tried looking through some of the videos tonight...yep, so not ready to go there. Sophia and I watched the video of Natalia's last Christmas. It shattered us both. It took me a half hour to calm Pia down. We are not ready to see Talia moving and talking...seeing what that horrible disease took from her. Seeing how hard it was for her to walk and talk but still showing her joy in living and her laughter. I thank God that I have those moments on video but I am not ready for the scab to be ripped off by watching them. I have wanted to try for some time but always had an excuse not to. I had a reason tonight and learned my limit. It is good to know.

That's it for now. Much love to you all.
Roni

No comments: